Company History

Mid-Pacific Industries was founded by Jim Moir, Sr. (right), on August 31, 1970. This name was chosen as it represented his love for a small group of islands located in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, more commonly known as the Micronesia Islands. The company was founded in Eugene, Oregon, and shortly thereafter two additional branches were developed, one in Bend and one in Medford. All three locations primarily sold Peterbilt trucks, with the Bend location also selling Case equipment.

jmsr.jpg (3761 bytes) 1932-1996

mnesia4s.jpg (10805 bytes)In November 1970 our Guam Corporation, Mid-Pac Far East, Inc. was formed, and over the years we have started numerous other corporations to facilitate International sales to the smaller islands within the mid-Pacific.  

Since the inception of Mid-Pacific Industries, we have conducted domestic business in addition to continuing the Moirs' interest in the international business, especially in Asia and the Pacific Rim. We have represented some very fine U.S. firms as their Distributor, including Cummins, Allison, Detroit Diesel, International Truck Mid-Range, John Deere Industrial and Agricultural, Ditch Witch and Paccar (Kenworth and Peterbilt), and represented the automotive side as a Distributor for Carquest.  

Through our International Division we have exported a wide variety of products such as airplanes, crushers, drilling rigs, mixer trucks and batch plants, just to name a few. From 1978 to 1992 we also represented Diamond Reo Giant Trucks as their International Division for Asia. During this fourteen year period we shipped trucks to fourteen different countries in both completely built up (CBU) and completely knocked down (CKD) configuration, for assembly at the final destination.  

mnesia2s.jpg (4830 bytes)In 1971 one of our sister companies started its representation as a distributor of a yard truck manufacturer, Ottawa Truck. In 1983 Ottawa Truck had only a 3% International market share so Mid-Pacific Industries entered into a marketing agreement with them to develop dealers and sell their product throughout Asia and the Pacific Rim. As a result of our efforts Ottawa Truck now has an 85% market penetration in the International market, and we are very proud to be associated with such a fine group.

In October 1989 we re-located our Corporate Headquarters to Woodland, California, where our initial plan was to continue marketing our products Internationally. Since then we have sold several of our International Divisions, to allow us the time to focus on developing our Domestic business. We are still very much involved Internationally, although on a smaller scale.

In 1994 we took on a Domestic Ottawa Truck franchise, and today Ottawa Truck represents 90% of our Domestic business. The remaining 10% is represented by specialized trailers, dump bodies and other specialized handling equipment, including the yard trucks we sell which can be used not only in ports but also in various industrial applications including steel mills, paper mills, cattle lots, wineries, canneries and rice mills.

jmjr.jpg (3799 bytes)Today Mid-Pacific Industries is run by Jim Moir, Jr. (left), the founder’s son, who has held the position of General Manager since 1988. Jim is responsible for a large portion of the Ottawa export sales and was extensively involved in developing the CKD (completely knocked down) program specially designed to facilitate the shipment Overseas of (4-5) Ottawa yard trucks in a container at one time, for re-assembly at their final destination.

Click here for a list of the Ottawa units sold internationally by Mid-Pacific Industries over the last couple of years.

We are now in our 46th year and are very excited to be a part of the continually expanding business of selling specialized equipment both Domestically and Internationally.